Adorable onesie cookies at my sister-in-law’s baby shower
Even though Thanksgiving is still a week away, I’m in full-on holiday mode. We’ve already watched two Christmas movies on Netflix, our Christmas cards have been ordered, delivered, and are waiting on our island with stamps, and I’ve already started preparing our Christmas music playlist for our 12-hour drive up to New York. I’m in the holiday spirit, and I can’t be stopped. But I’m still looking forward to turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Gobble gobble!
Here are five good finds from this past week:
- Blooming apple pie with maple butter glaze: If you want to be an overachiever and win the dessert table this Thanksgiving, try your hand at this beautiful apple pie. If you do, send me a picture. I’ll be super impressed/jealous of your baking skills.
- Will red lipstick kill or kickstart your career? Aliza Licht (DKNY PR Girl) is known for her signature red lips and nails. Do you rock red at the office? Personally, I save red lips for the weekends, but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect the women who wear it to meetings!
- 14 healthy breakfast hacks flight attendants swear by: These plane-friendly meals will save me on my next trip for work. They certainly beat my typical breakfast of flavored water and a pop-tarts pack that I pick up in the news store at the airport along with a copy of Marie Claire. I’m too ashamed of this meal to even put it on an expense report.
- Tips for decorating a small space for the holidays: In my mind, it’s already Christmas, and MPR & I never skimp on the decorations even though we’ve only lived in 650 square feet for the past three years. This article gave me even MORE ideas to up the holiday cheer in our apartment.
- 11 differences between busy people and productive people: You know those people who are always overwhelmed and literally running down the halls of your office? Here’s how to not become one of them.
Lately, I am a traveling machine. This past week I was in Dallas for a client event, and this week I’m heading home for my sister-in-law’s baby shower and a family visit. I’m definitely tired, but the upside is that I’m a pro at airports now. Plus I’m glad I get to visit my family in November while avoiding the crazy Thanksgiving travel congestion. I don’t know about all of you, but I’m looking forward to closing out 2015 and starting fresh in 2016. This has been one crazy year.
P.S. Exactly one year ago this weekend was my bridal shower & bachelorette party – time flies!
Here are 5 good finds from the past week:
- How to Ace Your Side Hustle: The Ultimate Guide: Side hustles have been all the rage in 2015. Here’s everything you need to know about starting yours and using it to supplement your income.
- The Do’s and Don’ts for Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner: I don’t know about you, but we’ve never cooked our own Thanksgiving dinner before. I’ll be perusing this little guide for a smooth Friendsgiving.
- 7 Things You Should Do *Now* to Fend Off Holiday Debt: Holiday marketing is already in full force! I’m so excited to start buying gifts for everyone on our list; however, it’s never worth going into debt buying presents. This article has seven ways to save some green this season.
- 5 Ways to Be Memorable in 30 Seconds or Less: While wedding planning, MPR used to tease me because our vendors never remembered/recognized me if I was by myself, they only knew us as a couple. Needless to say, I got a little self conscious that I was forgettable 😦 This article has great tips to make sure no one ever forgets you again!
- Maison Jules Long-Sleeve Heart-Print Sweater: I’m obsessed with this sweater! So adorable and perfect for holiday gatherings 🎄☃️
Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. I think it’s a combination of the crisp fall weather, scary movies on TV, and all the candy! This year was a little low key for us. We didn’t dress up (although we did dress up Rufio as Rufio), but we carved a pumpkin, baked pumpkin spice cookies, and hung out with new friends. It was a nice farewell to my favorite month, and now that it’s November I’m excited for my upcoming trip home for my sister-in-law’s baby shower and our trip to Long Island and Albany for Christmas and New Year’s. We even started our holiday shopping already! How many days until I can put up our Christmas tree again? In the meantime, here’s five good finds from the past week:
- How to Write a Novel and Keep Your Day Job: Here’s a good read for anyone who dreams of publishing a novel (apparently 60% of us do). If the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Fellow at the Washington think tank, the Center for Global Development, can do it – so can you!
- QUIZ: Which nostalgic pop punk song are you?: I got “My Friends Over You” by New Found Glory. Best. Quiz. Ever. Thanks Alt Press!
- Zak George’s Dog Training rEvolution: I found these amazing free dog training videos on YouTube that have been SO helpful with Rufio. These videos can replace puppy training classes, which keeps a few extra dollars in our pockets. (thumbs up!)
- How Kate Hudson Became the Ultimate Role Model: The easiest way to describe my favorite genre of movies is, Kate Hudson Movies. I love everything she’s been in, from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, to Raising Helen, to The Skeleton Key. She may not be known for her acting, but her sunshine-y personality is contagious. In this article she gives advice to career girls.
- The 15 Classic Pieces Every Woman Needs in her Wardrobe: Quality classics > large quantities of fast fashion. Add to shopping list – cashmere sweater, nude pumps, and jean jacket.
Pink donut I picked up after donating bras to a women’s shelter for Breast Cancer Awareness month.
In a recent group text I told my friends, “I love the Internet.” And I really do. Every morning I take a scroll through Twitter and Facebook for good content, and then take a peek at Instagram for pretty pictures. Every day I always find the best articles and want to share them with everyone. I RT like crazy, but tweets have such a short shelf life. I wanted a new platform to share my good Internet finds. Enter this new blog series: good finds.
Here are my first five picks:
- Tough Love: The Advertising Business is Hard: A great article about the reality of working in advertising/marketing. Jonathan Cude says, “Most people getting into this business are unprepared for the level of disappointment and rejection they’re going to encounter, even at the best of creative agencies. Why is it so crucial for students to know this? Because resilience, and the ability to cope with disappointment, is the single most defining characteristic that will determine their success.”
- Ashley Brooke Designs Holiday Collection: ABD has released her 2015 holiday collection with a mix of mugs and notepads, and all of the pieces are the cutest! Dear Santa, I’ll take the “I’ve got my love to keep me warm” mug. I swear I’ve been good!
- Andrew McMahon reveals the real story behind Something Corporate’s “Konstantine”: The world now makes sense. And we finally understand his ramblings in the middle verses!
- Liberty Tabletop Formal Dining Etiquette Infographic: Whether you’re hosting a holiday this season or meeting the parents for the first time, this cute infographic has all of your dining etiquette questions covered. I know I never learned this stuff in school!
- Kate Spade One in a Million Business Card Holder: I picked up this adorable business card holder during Kate Spade’s friends & family sale. Keeping all of my cards in this cute case is much easier than trying to fish one out from the bottom of my purse – plus, it’s monogrammed!